Demands of the Scottish Students’ Occupation
Students occupying George Square Lecture Theatre at Edinburgh University have released a statement of their demands.
We demand immediately from Edinburgh University:
- Freedom of access
- No legal or academic repercussions for anyone involved
We demand of the Scottish government and Scottish Universities:
- Withdrawal of the proposed 36k fees at Edinburgh University
- Withdrawal of all fee rises at other Scottish Universities, and no future proposals without meaningful student consultation.
- That they uphold the basic principle, inherent in the Scottish education system, of free education for all. Scotland should actively oppose Westminster policies challenging that principle.
- An explicit rejection of any future proposals that seek to change the status of Scottish Universities from public educational institutions to privately funded enterprises.
- No privatisation of education and no privately funded courses.
- No cuts to courses or compulsory redundancies in Scottish universities.
- Full and open consultation between management, staff and students concerning fees.
- A living wage for all workers at Scottish universities including those subcontracted.
- University senior management must take the average salary of university staff, or resign.
We’ll update the blog with any response the students receive as it appears.