Demands of the Scottish Students’ Occupation
Students occupying George Square Lecture Theatre at Edinburgh University have released a statement of their demands.
We demand immediately from Edinburgh University:
- Freedom of access
- No legal or academic repercussions for anyone involved
We demand of the Scottish government and Scottish Universities:
- Withdrawal of the proposed 36k fees at Edinburgh University
- Withdrawal of all fee rises at other Scottish Universities, and no future proposals without meaningful student consultation.
- That they uphold the basic principle, inherent in the Scottish education system, of free education for all. Scotland should actively oppose Westminster policies challenging that principle.
- An explicit rejection of any future proposals that seek to change the status of Scottish Universities from public educational institutions to privately funded enterprises.
- No privatisation of education and no privately funded courses.
- No cuts to courses or compulsory redundancies in Scottish universities.
- Full and open consultation between management, staff and students concerning fees.
- A living wage for all workers at Scottish universities including those subcontracted.
- University senior management must take the average salary of university staff, or resign.
We’ll update the blog with any response the students receive as it appears.
although part of the Scottish academic diaspora working abroad I fully support your aims and objectives.
More power to your campaign